Find New Ways to Happiness by Using Your Character StrengthsNone By Ryan M. Niemiec, Psy.D.
Need a happiness boost? Discover your signature strengths and use them in a new way each day. Research has found this intervention gives a boost to happiness and a decrease to depression, with some studies finding effects lasting up to six months.
Below are examples of how this intervention might be applied with each of the 24 universal, character strengths of the VIA Classification.
I created a Pinterest board that provides images for many of these “new ways,” including at least one image for each strength.
After you take the VIA Survey, consider one of the following ideas with one of your signature strengths:
1. Think of one of your problems and two possible solutions.
2. Present the solutions non-verbally as an act or mime to someone.
3. Turn an inanimate object (e.g., like paperclips, toothpicks) into something meaningful.
1. Try a new food for the first time, preferably from a culture different than your own.
2. Take a different route home and explore a new area or neighborhood.
Judgment (Critical Thinking)
1. Watch a political program from the opposite point of view of your own, and keep an open mind.
2. Ask one or two clarifying questions of someone who has a different approach to life or different beliefs than you (e.g., a vegetarian).
Love of Learning
1. Read some of the original works of Gandhi online.
2. Consider your favorite subject matter. Do